Paranoid about lifters

Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 AM
promodjohn
APPRENTICE

Default Paranoid about lifters

I asked your opinions on valve springs before now I,d like your input on lifters but first I,d like to share a story with you.
6 years ago when i sold everything and stopped racing what motivated me to throw in the towel was the destruction of a high end engine due to lifter failure.It was a 555 with Dart 360 heads.A lifter on #3 intake valve broke and stuck open,piston hit it broke spring and dropped the valve.Iam sure you know the rest of the story.The motor only had 38 passes on it and everything was new.too this day I don't know if the problem was the lifter or the lifter bore,but thats why I,am paranoid about lifters.
I am building a big inch motor now with 18* dart big chief heads no spray
single carb. I am going to spin it 7100 r.p.m. in a 2700 pound car. I would like your thoughts on this matter.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:41 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Paranoid about lifters

Originally Posted by promodjohn
I asked your opinions on valve springs before now I,d like your input on lifters but first I,d like to share a story with you.
6 years ago when i sold everything and stopped racing what motivated me to throw in the towel was the destruction of a high end engine due to lifter failure.It was a 555 with Dart 360 heads.A lifter on #3 intake valve broke and stuck open,piston hit it broke spring and droped the valve.Iam sure you know the rest of the story.The motor only had 38 passes on it and everything was new.too this day I don't know if the problem was the lifter or the lifter bore,but thats why I,am paranoid about lifters.
I am building a big inch motor now with 18* dart big chief heads no spray
single carb. I am going to spin it 7100 r.p.m. in a 2700 pound car. I would like your thoughts on this matter.

Morel Lifters by far the best lifter on the market. I know people who get 350 passes a year on these in duke/chief motors. All other brands I've seen that get raced hard need replaced mid season, specially on a 18 degree motor they are a lot harder on parts.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

You should be very PARANOID about lifters......

i also destroyed a very strong running 511ci this past March 2008. ( broken lifter)

roller ball broke off the lifter on the #1 exhaust , wiping out cam and block

car never mis-fired etc...it just became lazy....i am sure it was just a matter of time ( seconds/minutes) before the engine just seized up but i discovered it in the pitts before it got the chance...

Now $6200 later i almost have my new 565ci back with Dart Big "m" Block,new cam,lifters,rods and pistons from PAR engines...

i could have done without it.....my 511 was just fine..

whats so scary to me is that i do not know of any way to detect a lifter about to dump on you unlike detecting a weak valve spring etc.....

Sorry to hear about your loss but i relate all to well.

thanks

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-06-2008, 10:07 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
You should be very PARANOID about lifters......

i also destroyed a very strong running 511ci this past March 2008. ( broken lifter)

roller ball broke off the lifter on the #1 exhaust , wiping out cam and block

car never mis-fired etc...it just became lazy....i am sure it was just a matter of time ( seconds/minutes) before the engine just seized up but i discovered it in the pitts before it got the chance...

Now $6200 later i almost have my new 565ci back with Dart Big "m" Block,new cam,lifters,rods and pistons from PAR engines...

i could have done without it.....my 511 was just fine..

whats so scary to me is that i do not know of any way to detect a lifter about to dump on you unlike detecting a weak valve spring etc.....

Sorry to hear about your loss but i relate all to well.

thanks
Good to see ya back Brian

I've alwasy heard when valve lash really starts to move a lot a lifter is about to go ? Now how much truth there is in this I do not know, I've had lifter failure before without notice cost me a lot of time/money also. Now when I change the oil I get a flash light and look down in the heads to make sure everything I can atlesat see is good. I've been running the morels for 2 years now and my motor guy said I didnt need to replace last winter but I do every year for peace of mind.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 AM
gimmemud
MASTER BUILDER

http://bulletcams.com/FeaturedProduc...dProducts.html

These are one of the best made, I run them with almost 1200lbs open pressure and 9000-9500 rpm with no problems.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:26 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

any idea who makes them for Bullet ?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:03 AM
gimmemud
MASTER BUILDER

They are made by US Tool and Die (I think thats the name), they make them for morel also I was told.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:17 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gimmemud
They are made by US Tool and Die (I think thats the name), they make them for morel also I was told.
I thought maybe so, I have 3 sets of Morels one has the Lunati name the other have PBM name, the PBM's carry a lot less price for the same lifter. I have had a few friends switch and love them so far. Look like new after a year of racing.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:14 PM
altereddoug
JOURNEYMAN

I found out why you use QUALITY lifters two years ago. I used a set of herbert .300 longer roller lifters on just a .746 lift cam. Brand new motor and it lasted 45 minutes. After the warm up I revved it to 3500 and then a awful squeal and shut it out and then a bang. It pushed the camshaft out the front of the motor. Had a billet
cover and timing chain, bent 5 valves. Luckily thats when it did it. After changing cams,timing chains, then going to gear drive, tearing apart the engine to see if the block was screwed up, since it was new. Could not find anything wrong. So I installed the cam and loaded the lifters. then actually saw where it was shoving the camshaft forward.?????? (with a dial indicator) Anyway What I found was that when the camshaft was on base circle on one side and the other on max lift the horz. bar was binding up and twisting the lifter in the bore. Put a set of hippo lifters in and never a problem since... That mistake only cost me around 1800.00....so what did I save?

Save money now.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:57 PM
FAT622
JOURNEYMAN

Who are crane and comp made by? should i sell them now? :?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -